A few days ago I discovered the band ILYAIMY ("I Love You And I Miss You", inspired by some urban sticker performance art project several years ago). They call themselves "acoustic grunge," but having no metal background I'd describe them as a combination of riot-folk guitar, RHCP-esque bass, Guster-like conga, Dragonzord's girl-boy harmonics, Louis Armstrong's growls, and just plain badass piano. You can tell that every member of the band is both passionate and competent; you can hear every instrument. And the music's heartbreaking--in a blues sense, not an emo sense. I want to make love to their lead female vocalist's voice...
The song that really turned me on to the band, though, was a track Nelson had, called "Valeri." I thought the song was gorgeous the first time I heard it. Now that I've read the story behind the song, though... man...
Valeree was a wonderful summer romance. She moved back to Florida and we wrote back and forth to one another in our almost identical tiny black-inked handwriting for over a year afterwards. The letters stopped suddenly and I had always wondered why. Years later she wrote to me on a whim, wondering who I was. She'd been dancing in a club and a big steel moon thing fell from the ceiling and struck her on the head. It totally wiped out years of her life and her only memory of me was the letters and photographs we'd been sending. She used the money from the settlement to build her own art gallery."
I'll put the track up here so y'all can listen in.
I leave Philly in less than two weeks. My playlist's getting bittersweet.
- The Ballad of Tundra - Evan Greer
- Save Tonight - Off the Beat
- All My Little Words - Magnetic Fields
- Valeri - ILYAIMY
- Transatlanticism - Death Cab For Cutie
- High and Dry - Radiohead
- Annie Dan - Speechwriters LLC
- No Place Is Home - ILYAIMY
- I Don't Want to Live on the Moon - Sesame Street
- I Could Be Nothing - Great Lakes Swimmers
- Do Impossible Things - Jens Lekman
- No Signs of Pain - Azure Ray
- It's Only Time - Magnetic Fields
- I Want Something - Evan Greer
- One - Tina Dico
- Your Hand In Mine - Explosions In the Sky